Did you file a return incorrectly?

Did you forget to include a W-2? Or did you forget some major deductions?

Or do you just not feel comfortable with your preparer?
No problem. Just amend your return!

You have up to 3 years from the filing due date (the extended filing due date, if extended) to file an amended return. Which means that you can still correct 2012 returns up to April 15, 2016. The process is a little cumbersome, but with careful review, you could generate additional refunds by including neglected expenses.

The IRS has a three year “statute of limitations” which means, that there are three years that returns can be subject to audit. After a three year period, the IRS cannot go back and audit tax returns, unless fraud is suspected. Similarly, a taxpayer has a three year statute which allows them to go back and “correct” a return, and claim a refund. After that point, the year is deemed “closed” and refunds cannot be obtained.

Amending a return is not a complicated process. If you have the feeling that you are owed money, don’t let the opportunity pass. We will review your return for no charge, to see if we can help you.

CONTACT US today to find out how we can help. 847.677-0224.